Sunday 5 January 2014

Feeling a Little Goofy


So on New Years Eve I ran my final race of the year, a 10K in the cold.  This is the third year in a row we did this run, it is one of our favorites.  It was cold, really cold but I dressed appropriately and was nice and warm. I had the kilt from the Perth Kilt Run and since we have to miss that race again this year, I thought I would use it as an extra layer and have another chance to wear it.  The 5K and 10K runners started together so it was a bit crowded at the start but once the 5K runners turned around we were able to increase our speed.  I had hope to run this race under 60 mins but that did not happen, I did it in 62 mins which was a new PB for me at that distance and leaves me something to work for next year, to break 60 mins.


Thursday we leave for Orlando, weather permitting to run the Goofy Challenge.  When we registered for the race in March, I had never run a marathon and had only run 2 half marathons.  I thought maybe I could run half of each, run 5 mins, walk 5 mins and still finish before the time deadlines.  Well I now know I can run both if I want and I did the training.  I am running with 2 friends and we are planning on taking lots of breaks for photos and fun along the way.  Last year my second half marathon was the Disney Wine and Dine and I had a blast.  I have to say I am quite relaxed about this race, I am focusing on the fun part and less on the distance part.  I respect the distance, it is a long way but I know it will be better with friends along the way. 

Another friend is running her first marathon at Disney.  Susan has run lots of half marathons but this is her first marathon.  She was worried that she would not be able to finish, like we all are, and came up with a brilliant idea.  She asked her friends to sponsor her and make a donation to the charity of their choice if she finished her marathon.  Well everyone stepped up and she has raised almost $6300 so far and more is coming in daily.  We all struggle leading up to our first marathon, can I do it, have I trained enough, the what ifs are long and mess with our minds.  Susan has turned her worries into a positive and she will finish her marathon, she would have finished it before but now she has so much more to keep her going when things get tough. Neale is going to run with Susan which is fitting, Susan was one of Neale's sensei's when he was training in karate.  Now it is his turn to give back to her, the experienced marathoner, this is his 7th, helping another entered the marathon club.  I can't wait to see her at the finish line...and Neale.  Last year was the first year he has not completed a marathon since he started running, his injuries meant he lost 6 months of training.  This marathon will be extra special for him, it marks his comeback and I can't wait to do this challenge with him.  

I am planning on taking lots of photos and I will have a full race report next week...and hopefully a whole lot of new bling.
Goofy Challenge medals

4 comments:

  1. Best of luck and have fun!! I'ts going to be HOT and humid!! What Corral are you in? I'm in G for the half and full. Blue Donald dress for the half and bright neon green dress for the full. Can't Wait!!! ------ Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in Corral L for both, we did not have times to put in when we entered so we are near the back. Have a great time!

      Delete
  2. I hope I can do this one next year. Hope you guys have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will let you know how it goes, I hope we have better weather then forecasted right now.

      Delete