Saturday 15 September 2012

The New Normal



nor·mal/ˈnôrməl/
     Adjective:  
Conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.
     Noun:
The usual, average, or typical state or condition.

This is the dictionary definition of normal but to me normal is a range not a static place, it is fluid and moves, it evolves and adapts.  NBC has a new show this fall called “The New Normal” about a single Mom who becomes a surrogate for married gay couple.  Now I am not sure that fit the standard definition of normal, it is probably on the far extreme of the normal continuum but it shows how much our normal can change.  20 years ago, a married gay couple was definitely not the norm but it is now standard place in society.  Society continues to evolve, to accept changes and redefine normal and I am glad that is the case.

Three years ago my normal was being inactive, over weight and unhappy.  This summer my new normal was working out 6 days a week, 9 workouts a week.  In three years I went from one end of the normal continuum to the other and evolved as a person and an athlete.  I do not think either extreme is healthy, too little or too much, finding the balance is that hard part.  We can push our normal and make it grow but if you push it too far it will snap back to a more comfortable place…whether you are ready for it or not.  Sunday my body decided enough was enough; it did not like this new normal and told me so in no uncertain terms. 

I was smart enough to listen and spent the week trying to define my new normal, a more balanced normal.  Yes I still have goals and will push for more challenges but I will do it in a more balanced fashion. Normal continues to evolve…for society and for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment