Monday 7 May 2012

In Sickness and in Health

After a fabulous holiday in paradise I got sick.  Someone said it was karma, I say it was 10 hours of recycled air on the plane.  Anyway it prevented me from running most of the week so when I started to feel human on Friday, I jumped on the treadmill for a 30 min trial run to see if I could do it. When we sign up for an event it becomes our focus, we work towards it, worry about it and countdown days.  An illness or injury just before race day throws all kind of new variables into the mix, will I be able to run, can I overcome this, what are options if I can not compete.  My running buddy Roy was suffering a similar fate, a lung infection side tracked his training as well.  On Sunday I managed to complete a hilly 12k run and while the lungs were not working at 100%, I felt good.  Roy managed an 8K run as well and I can safely say the relief we both felt could be felt across the miles.  Illness and injury happens to runners, we might try to deny it but we are only human.  Taking a few days off, even a week, might be scary but we need to listen to our bodies and if we need to rest, WE NEED TO REST.  Going for that first long run might be harder but we will eventually get back to our usual routine and enjoy it even more.

11 days to the Bluenose event, 17 days to Tamarak Race Weekend and 139 days to the Army Run.


"What distinguishes those of us at the starting line from those of us on the couch is that we learn through running to take what the days gives us, what our body will allow us, and what our will can tolerate." 
-John Bingham

No comments:

Post a Comment